The issuance and renewal of a residence permit for the purposes of the Research Directive 2016/801 stipulates that a residence permit is issued for research purposes if a valid reception contract or an appropriate contract is concluded with a research organization located on the federal territory. The residence permit is usually issued for the duration of the research project, but no more than 3 years. Residence permits are issued for one year and then renewed for research institutes that are not recognised by the Federal Office for Migration and Refugees (BAMF) under the Residence Act (AufenthG). The residence permit also allows you to work as a teacher or self-employed person. At the end of the research project, the residence permit is renewed for 9 months. This allows the person to look for another professional activity that reflects their qualifications. For short stays for research purposes that will not last more than a year: you will not get the residence permit if the research organization you host was created in the first place to allow foreigners to come to Germany and stay here, The researchers with whom you sign the reception contracts can then apply for a residency for research purposes. The research organization recognized by BAMF enters into a hosting contract with you. In addition to information about the research organization and the researcher in person, this information must contain the following information: the research organization will forward the signed welcome agreement to the relevant authority.

The original German version of this text was developed in close collaboration with the relevant services. The Ministry of the Interior published the full description on 19.05.2020. Only the German text is legally binding. The Land of Bavaria assumes no responsibility for the translated texts. If you have any doubts or questions or problems, please contact the relevant authorities directly. The office of foreigners is the municipal administration or the Landratsamt, depending on the place of residence. . State-recognized higher education institutions or other research organizations, whose activities are funded primarily by public funds, are already considered legally recognized research organizations.

Research institutes wishing to recruit foreign researchers can be recognised by the Federal Office for Migration and Refugees (BAMF). This has the advantage of issuing a residence permit more quickly for research purposes. Do you have foreign nationality and would you like to obtain a residence permit for research purposes? As of September 1, 2011, the residence permit is the size of a credit card and includes additional electronic functions. For more information, please see „Electronic Residence Title (eAT) – Application.“ Companies that do research are also classified as „research organizations.“ The residence permit for research purposes is valid for a limited period of at least one year. If you participate in an EU programme or a multilateral programme, you will receive a residence permit for at least two years. You can ask for it to be extended. However, if you complete your research project before this period expires, your residence permit expires at the same time. Do you already have the residence permit of another EU Member State? You will then find the following options: For more information on the recognition procedure, please visit the website of. Note: The term „research organization“ also includes companies that conduct research activities. A fee of 219 euros is levied for the recognition of a research organization whose activities are not financed primarily by public funds.

If the project is modified during the research period, it will not affect your home as long as you remain employed by the same research organization. You can find out what to do with the appropriate body. Please find out.